As in many other sectors, the Internet of Things (IoT) has brought important advantages for education. Applying IoT in education means better control over the environment and connectivity. From smart building IoT solutions in an educational environment – school buildings, classrooms, school buses – to greater connectivity – online courses, integrating smart boards and mobile technology – to more efficient teaching methods. Security via the use of smart cameras, climate control and smart HVAC systems, smart lighting systems that provide better and more efficient illumination are things that complement and support a solid education environment. Smartboards provide effective support for in-class or remote instructor-led training with the help of multi-touch displays, editing/erasing and natural writing technology that are offering real-time feedback possibilities.
How IoT changes the educational environment
The transformation IoT brings in education is substantial and is significantly impacting how schools, colleges, and universities gather data, interact with users, and automate processes. Sensors and other devices that can collect and transmit information about real-time campus activity are changing the current educational models
IoT enables institutions to:
- Create new ways for students to learn by supporting personalized and dynamic learning experiences (including immersive digital textbooks and game-based learning).
- Change how teachers deliver lessons and test achievement with smart audio-visual equipment, digital video recorders for lecture capture, and online testing.
- Simplify operations for school administrators by proactively monitoring critical infrastructure and creating more efficient, cost-effective processes for HVAC, lighting, and surroundings management.
- Provide a safer environment for students and teachers with digital surveillance cameras, smart door locks and connected school buses.
Examples of IoT solutions for education include:
- Smart whiteboards and other interactive digital media that can gather and analyze data for teachers and students to be used in the classroom – or anywhere else, at any time – optimizing teaching and improving learning outcomes.
- Smart temperature and humidity sensors combined with smart heating, ventilation and air condition equipment can reduce energy consumption and automate operations management.
- Smart student ID/tracking cards, attendance-tracking devices, school bus tracking systems and parking sensors that monitor the physical whereabouts of students.
- Door locks and sensors provide security for teachers, students, and staff.
- SOS button can equip each classroom with a “teacher assist” button that can be used to alert key staff members and administrators in the event of an emergency.
3 key benefits of IOT in education
- Improving Student Outcomes with IoT Applications
The use of smart whiteboards allows for the same interactivity with students, regardless of in-class or remote teaching. Computers, microscopes, cameras, and video cameras, among other devices, can be attached to the boards to enhance student’s learning experience. Moreover, attendance tracking allows for monitoring of physical presence in classrooms and contributes to better class attendance.
- Making Schools Safer with IoT Technology
IoT allows for customizable security plans that utilize connected devices such as door locks, sensors and kiosks for digital signage. For example, you can create different programs for cases like severe weather threats, intruders, or other security risks. IoT technology also enables solutions such as interconnected emergency alert buttons in classrooms, empowering teachers to act and keep their students safe.
- Energy Efficiency and Cost Savings with IoT in Schools
IoT environmental sensors can monitor and generate alarms when certain conditions are met. This creates improved environmental conditions – with direct impact on the learning process – but also improves building efficiency and reduces energy waste, resulting in cost savings.
With the availability of IoT solutions and services, the educational sector can experience some key transformations particularly in terms of teaching efficiency and institution safety. But ultimately it is not about the technology; it is about sharing knowledge and information, communicating efficiently, building learning communities and creating a culture of professionalism in schools by means of technology.
Deltatel provides IoT solutions for your business. With our IoT solution portfolio, we can help you to better manage your most valuable assets, improve their usage and be more effective in your overall activity.